Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Thankfulness

As much as I complain I realize I do have many things to be thankful for, even with a chronic illness. I recently turned 28, and part of my birthday practice every year is to reflect on the most important and precious things in my life. Sometimes these things change, but some never do. I figured I should share these things with you...

I am thankful....

... that I have a loving and supportive family. We have our eccentricities, but I know they love me and I hope they know I love them. I try to show that to them as much as I can. We fight, we cry, but we're very functional.

... for my grandmother's life. She passed away between birthdays 27 and 28 and I couldn't be more grateful to have known her.

... for friends that actually care and take an interest. I have cultivated friendships with people that feel mutual and not like I'm using them or vice versa.

... for a stable, adult relationship that doesn't cause me more drama or create negative situations for me.

... that I seem to have finally wrapped my head around some parts of my illness. It's challenging and complicated, but I'm really glad I have a smart enough brain to think it out.

... that my sinuses don't get badly infected and that PO antibiotics still work well for me.

... that my insurance pays for my IVIG treatment.

... for my mobility, even if it isn't perfect all the time, it's nice to be able to walk around and go the places I want to without too much assistance.

... for unrestricted food. Many of my friends have to eat limited diets because of their disease progression and manifestations. Boy am I glad I have food freedom!

... for music.

... that there is real beauty to experience in the world.

... for last November's trip to Hawaii. I didn't know if I would ever get to go there, but I can tell you it's a magnificent experience. You should definitely do it.

... that I have people I can call if I get into trouble and need help.

This is the short list. There are more things, obviously, but these are the most important to me right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment