Thursday, August 4, 2011

No, Your Immune System is NOT Horrible

My poor facebook friends become blog fodder sometimes. Sorry in advance, guys.

It kind of annoys me when people rant about their "horrible" immune systems. I know I should be used to such things, but it's still annoying to hear a healthy person say they have a "horrible" immune system. Now I understand that people use this as a hyperbolic statement when discussing why they get sick, but it strikes me as strange. I'm pretty sure I get sick more often than most people, but I still wouldn't say I have a "horrible" immune system, at least not most of the time. It's just not there.

Most immune competent people don't realize how insensitive it sounds when they talk to someone who is so fundamentally broken in this important way. It's like "yeah, my immune system is bad, too." You may think you've got a bad immune system, but I'd give anything I could to have the chance to have what you do, but that will never be possible for me. No one has perfect health, and if you're exposed to new bugs, you've got a decent chance of getting sick. The difference is, you'll be well in a few days with the right care. Even with the right care, a stray bug could kill me.

I guess it's all about perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment