Monday, August 1, 2011

Breast Cancer "Awareness"

As I am wont to do, I got in a discussion on Facebook about these silly, cryptic status messages. I am of the opinion that telling your shoe size in inches with a frowny face doesn't actually do anything to promote awareness or show support for breast cancer patients. In fact, I think the whole thing cheapens the experience of cancer.

Cancer sucks, I'm sure. I've never had it, but I have been very sick and have a chronic illness, so I can pretty well imagine that it would suck pretty hard. I've seen people go through chemo and it seems rough. It's not glamorous, it's not easy. I think it would be much better if people took the time to go to a chemo ward and sit with these women going through the worst experience of their lives. Hold their hands, bring them a sandwich. Actually do something meaningful.

It was pointed out to me that some people hide their cancer. I think this is well within their rights. I hid my PIDD for a long time and was reluctant to talk about the serious nature of my illness. I get that people don't want to make people feel sorry for them. That all makes sense to me, especially after having to have a needle biopsy for a lump. I verbally threatened everyone who knew that if I had cancer, they were to never ever lay hands or give to me anything with a pink ribbon. The pink ribbon movement was borne out of a sister's grief, but has taken things to a ridiculous and disrespectful level. You can now get "breast cancer awareness" themed grocery items, kitchen wares, NFL hats, and yes, even fast food. But what does buying these things do for the actual patients? They keep trying to find a cure for cancer.

You know what? I'm going to be really bold here. There is no cure for cancer. There. I said it. Cancer is the overgrowth of your body's own cells. That's what makes it so challenging to treat in the first place. It isn't some sort of virus we just need to figure out. The only way to "cure" it entirely would be to either teach the body to fight these types of cells or to stop cell growth. When your cells stop growing, you die. So I would rather we have a conversation about better, more effective, less invasive treatments for cancer, instead of this constant drumbeat about awareness and a "cure."

1 comment:

  1. Hear, hear! Great post.

    I am so sick of 'change your facebook photo to this' types of 'awareness.' Let's face it, what adult is not AWARE of cancer? I see this on the UT campus too. Like, let's 'be aware' of famine. That's pretty lame. I don't want to be aware. I want to actually be making a difference. And if I don't have the resources to be making a difference right now, I'm not going to pretend I'm changing the world by 'being aware' of stuff.

    ReplyDelete