Friday, July 29, 2011

There Are Some Things I Will Never Understand

I've been trying to recruit people to sign and pass along this petition about infant screening for SCID in Florida. It takes about 2 seconds to fill out and pass along. Or just fill out.

It has 324 signatures.

I received a notice about a friend supporting another petition. This one was about animal cruelty, specifically wanting someone to get the full punishment for hurting a dog. It's a negative petition rather than a positive one, in my opinion. It has signatures in the tens of thousands.

Apparently it is more appealing to punish someone who hurts a dog than it is to save dying babies. I don't think I will ever understand that. The kid who killed the dog will be punished in some way, maybe not the maximum sentence, but he will be punished.

Without public support, 8-10 SCID babies will die in Florida this year. The first one already died, the second is currently fighting for life.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. There was, after all, an animal welfare charity before there was ever one to protect children.

No comments:

Post a Comment