Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Friends"

I'm connected to several different people in a variety of disease communities. It's helpful to be able to think that other people have weird things going on and can offer advice on different subjects.

I have found myself very much enjoying the tweets of @Steph_in_NC. She's snarky and honest. I admire her sense of humor and the way she is able to express her frustrations. One of her tweets today struck a particular nerve with me. Why is it that people seem to care so much more about some stupid and frivolous things? I'm not nearly as tolerant of cause marketing for diseases as Steph is, but man oh man. Who does this sort of thing?

My feeling is that this is someone who can't actually face the big scary things, so she focuses on the small, trivial things. Really? Someone can't get their excess stomach skin fixed right now? It will eventually go back. Steph's lupus isn't going away, neither is my PIDD. Is it really so hard for people to think about someone else's actual, real problems? I guess it is more attractive to deal with the manufactured ones. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment