Friday, July 8, 2011

New IG Product Seeking FDA License

Baxter, makers of my beloved gammagard, are applying to bring their new SubQ preparation to market. It's called HyQ and you can read the full press release here.

Basically, this product is meant to infuse your entire month's worth of IG replacement subcutaneously. This is a fast-absorbing product using hyaluronidase to make the tissue more receptive to absorbing the product. The lack of good information on the effects of hyaluronidase, especially in this sort of long-term usage, concerns me. I don't know that I would want to switch to this product, especially before we get more in-patient, widespread information. I see the problems people are having with the change from Vivaglobin to Hizentra, and I do not want to be on the vanguard with this product.

I wonder if anyone has actually put thought into the fact that this would amount to not only an experiment on the value of subcutaneous preparations in monthly dosing but also on the long term impacts of putting this kind of tissue-loosening agent into your skin. I would imagine it would reduce some of the scar tissue problems I know patients experience with current preparations, but at what cost? I suppose we'll see if/when the FDA decides on the license.

No comments:

Post a Comment