Monday, August 8, 2011

Doctor Patient Relationships

My medical team is awesome. We've discussed this before. I'm starting to form my own methods and opinions for how I've developed rapport with doctors. It's something that has taken a significant investment on my part, and some willingness to listen on theirs.

I think the difference for me has been becoming insistent. I had some of the same symptoms for a long time before I started trying to address them with my doctors. Sometimes, they were dismissive or wanted me to wait. It was when I decided to take more ownership and drive my own care that things began to change for me and I began to feel better about my level of care.

I didn't change doctors to accomplish this. I started doing research and asking better questions. I started connecting my symptoms and being more willing to discuss them in detail, making notes to ensure I didn't leave things out. I really wanted to understand what was going on with my care and wanted my doctors to understand how these things were making me feel physically. It has gotten to the point where my doctors now even ask about my emotional health. This is a major change for me.

I won't pretend that any of this was easy. It has taken years to get to this point, but now I go in to my appointments with more confidence. I discuss with my doctors the treatment plan, look at various options, and make sure we're all on the same page. It feels wonderful to be able to do that. My caveat would be that you must approach them in a professional, collegial manner. That's been the big key for me. I have utmost respect for my physicians, but I no longer fear them or just sit quietly while they dictate the treatment plan. Not every doctor will engage like this, but I think a lot more of them will than you might first think.

I know a lot of people struggle with this balance of asking questions but not seeming to be too aggressive. It takes time to learn and I think it's important to try. Small steps at first, like discussing all the available medications for a specific symptom, or even figuring out what OTC cold medications are right for you. These little things can begin to change the way you see your doctors and vice versa. You may also learn that things you've "always done" aren't necessarily the best or most advantageous for your body. Don't be afraid. Odds are your doctor wants you to be as healthy as possible, just like you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment