Monday, March 26, 2012

"Wellness Educator"

Aww. My insurance company is so adorable. Calling me incessantly about asthma until I agree to be in their wellness program... At least now the calls are going to be monthly....

Today's callback was from an RN at the company who actually had to have me explain to her the reasons I'm on certain drugs and why I'm not on others.... Really, lady? You've never heard of metformin for PCOS? Uh... ok. You've never heard of an asthma patient whose asthma is secondary and who doesn't want inhaled corticosteroids? Asthma docs who prefer steroid sparing, especially since my asthma is ridiculously well-controlled? I think she asked me 3 times why I'm not on inhaled steroids. "I know they can cause infection complication, but..." There's your answer lady. "I figured that, but I have to ask." Yes, I am sure you do, but you don't have to ask several times.

At least she complimented me on being informed. She was also curious about my having children. WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE!??!!? I swear, health professionals are really curious as to whether you will be birthing babies or not. It was kind of strange, but I explained the genetic links, the fact I probably wouldn't pass it on, and the fact that I will be looking into genetic counseling before I decide about having kids. It's kind of an intense conversation to have when she's spent most of the call asking about corticosteroids.

No comments:

Post a Comment