Monday, April 2, 2012

On Being "Good-Natured"

I got an interesting compliment from my immunologist, Dr. S. At my April treatment he asked me how I stayed so good-natured... How it is that I don't let the many -ologists and such get me down. Well, I don't really have a choice. At least in my reckoning of things, I can either deal with things in a constructive manner or I can wallow and complain. A happy life is not made up of our complaints or our shortcomings...In so many words, you must play the hand you're dealt. My hand just happens to be a little complicated.

This is not to say I'm good at this stuff or have it figured out, because I'll be the first to tell you I could be MUCH better at it. Why has it been so long since I've been to the dentist? I will blame finances, which is only partially true. I just couldn't deal with another regular medical-ish appointment at the times when I've had dental insurance. I'm only just now getting to the point where I can face it and it feels like a huge step for me. It isn't that I want my teeth to rot out of my mouth, I just couldn't overcome the emotional hurdle... until now. I am committed to taking better care of myself, my whole self, so I can be as healthy as possible. It may not be as good as the immune competent folks, but it will be better than what it could be.

When thinking about what makes you have a happy life, it isn't what most people assume. I think that this post gives good insight. It's not about what you have or who you are, but how you choose to react to things and what you choose to hold on to. It's hard to put into practice, but I think, in the end, if you can at least do a majority of these things on a given day, you'll have a much happier existence and can also be "good-natured."

No comments:

Post a Comment