Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I am the 1%

There's an article I ran across on Facebook examining the statistics of health care spending in the US. Quite an interesting way to look at the spending to try and devise ways to control it, I suppose. That's an admirable goal, but there are some things in the reporting of this story that gave me pause.

Of course people on public health care use more care... Those are the elderly, disabled, and most ill among Americans. That makes a lot of sense to me, but seems to lead to the opportunity for those who oppose universal health care to say "well, if you give it to people they use more." I believe that assertion to be patently false, but that's not really the issue here.

I also found it interesting that the racial divide is certainly not what some folks would lead one to believe. The way that politicians talk, hispanic immigrants are what's costing so much and making our health care system so expensive. Turns out, that's definitely not the case. Sickly older white women are really what costs us so much money. Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment