Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Back to School...

It seems to me that there are an increasing number of vaccine stories during the back to school season. I suppose that is when they are most relevant, but the fact that we're seeing record numbers of children go unvaccinated is stunning to me. I know parents are trying to do whats right for their children, but absent a reaction or religious reason, every child should be vaccinated as much as possible.


This article has a lot of good (and scary) information on lapsing vaccines and touches a big reason to get your kids vaccinated....
The increasing number of kindergartners entering school without immunizations poses a risk to others, especially children who have legitimate medical exemptions that prevent them from getting their shots, said Linda Davis-Alldritt, a school nurse consultant at the California Department of Education.

"Disease prevention is really a very important thing," she said. "These are diseases that can be very serious, and it can cause death and it can cause long lasting illnesses."


I really can't help but feel like I'm at high risk. I guess it's a risk I must take to be part of the functioning world, but it upsets me that I might be the victim of someone else's negligent behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment