Monday, September 26, 2011

Agoraphobia

I realize that, as I grow older, I am becoming agoraphobic. I don't like the feeling of being surrounded by people and feel the need to escape. I feel almost panicked. It's really strange and only happens in certain situations. If I'm in a crowd that's supposed to be moving but isn't, that's a big trigger for me.

I also find that I don't really like going out if there are going to be a lot of people around. I mean, I do have some legitimate reasons to not really want to go out during cold and flu season, but I feel much more inhibited by my own hangups than by any perceived danger, at least most of the time.

Today, though, I had a dude sneeze on my foot. He turned away from one group of people to sneeze on another. I mean, I guess it's good that he didn't sneeze on those other people, but still...

I see people who look really rough on the metro, too, and I can't help wanting to use copious amounts of hand sanitizer when I exit. I've been trying to remember to wash my hands before I begin working, but I'm concerned that's not enough. I do touch my face a lot, so I'm pretty sure the metro is going to be the death of me...

Is 28 too young to become a total recluse?

No comments:

Post a Comment