Thursday, September 15, 2011

Confessions: Follow Up

One of the reasons I think I'm finding it difficult to blog lately is that I'm wrestling with a lot of things that I just don't know how to express effectively. The medical stuff I've been dealing with has been a little distracting and disheartening, but I think that will pass.

Earlier, I confessed how difficult it has been for me to be medically compliant and deal with things as they are happening. I was putting things off and being bad about things instead of acknowledging the problem and addressing it head on. So now I have done just that. I went to see the eye doctor. My eyes are apparently just fine. She was not concerned by the degradation of my vision, as it seems to be within normal bounds of what people experience year over year. So that's a relief. She said some of the other problems could be dryness in my eyes and that an OTC eye drop may help. That is a major load off.

The other thing is the matter of the plaquenil in general. I have established through my own, though admittedly non-scientific, methods that it was making me gain weight and lose hair. I'm having my immunologist run some thyrod tests along with the compliment testing we decided to do. He thinks the compliment testing will be negative, was curious about the TSH tests, and decided to add some vitamin D testing to the mix. Now we wait to see if there's anything going on or whether it is the plaquenil, which I've started taking again. Aren't you just so proud? You should be.

I am trying to frame things in a different manner. I am starting to feel like I am finally coming into my own as a person, and I am determined to treat myself better. If the plaquenil is going to make me gain weight, then I had better get my buns to the gym. I was discussing alternative treatments with my immuno and we agreed that the weight gain is a lesser of evils compared to what may happen on other drugs. We'll ride this out until December (if possible) and see where we are when I return to the rheumatologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment