Thursday, June 2, 2011

So I guess that European vacation is out...

They've discovered a new strain of E. Coli in the latest European outbreak (article here) and, frankly, that's a little scary. It's especially frightening to know that they can't yet pinpoint the source of the infection. Gah!

I think there are many systemic things that we as humans do that make us unhealthy. Keeping the animals we eat as food on huge lots instead of more natural settings is one. There's evidence that even grass feeding cows for a week prior to slaughter drastically reduces the E. Coli they produce. I firmly believe that we should take the time to consider what it is we take into our bodies. Grass fed cows produce more methane, which adds to global climate change, but they also don't make us sick in the short-term. They also take up more space, which is a problem, but not insurmountable.

This also illuminates the fact that the American food safety system should be a priority. I worry for the folks I know in the UK who have PIDD that may contract this bug. People with normal immune systems are having trouble fighting it off. I can't imagine I'd survive very long, were I to contract it. The potential for food borne illness is a big reason why I try to eat more naturally and organically. It scares me that such things will happen in the United States, especially since Congress has decided it doesn't need to properly fund the FDA and hasn't given them enough enforcement rights. Which MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! I will never understand why the FDA can't get help. Oh yeah, that's right. Big food interests block this kind of legislation... I think Americans really need to consider their food supply system and the protection of it because it will happen here and it may happen to your children. Or to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment