Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Painful Emails

So last night I went to a potluck dinner with some other couples my boyfriend and I are friendly with, hosted by a couple with 2 small children. I overheard someone mention something about the youngest possibly having chicken pox, or having a fever. I wasn't sure quite what to do. Do you make an issue of it in the moment or do you wait and see or does it matter? I didn't necessarily want to disclose my illness to them or have them know that I was anything but perfect and normal. I like having those bubbles of people...

That bubble is now burst so I can find out if I was exposed to chicken pox or not. If so, I need to start antivirals or at least talk to my doctor about it, especially since I have a trip planned in 2 weeks. It sucks.

How do you tell someone "hey I maybe eavesdropped and heard something and I got 99 problems" and have them not look at you in a different way? The email is simple and straightforward, but it breaks my heart a little bit to think about it.




Hey [Friend]
Lisa thought she overheard someone say at dinner that [Baby] recently has chicken pox, is that right?

Either way, in the future, if the kids are sick or just getting over something, could you let me know ahead of time? Lisa has a Primary Immune Deficiency and doesn't make antibodies so her immune system doesn't work well.She is susceptible to get sick easily, even from childhood diseases (she could get chicken pox twice a year or more if she kept getting exposed to it).

Thanks
[Wonderful Boyfriend]


Uh yeah. I just feel sad. I know I shouldn't but that doesn't make it seem more fair or less silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment