Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Numbers

As I mentioned, I went to several sessions at the IDF conference related to SCID and the recent initiatives to make SCID testing a regular part of infant heel prick screening. In these sessions, I learned about outcomes and prognosis for children who get diagnosed early. Those outcomes are great. There is a lot that can be repaired with Bone Marrow Transplant.

Then you look at older children at the time of transplantation and the outcomes are rather more bleak. This is sad to me because it would take only a little to get these children tested and treated early.

I read today about this little boy in India. His parents are struggling to get him a transplant at the age of 2.

I really hope he is able to get the transplant from his sister and beat the overwhelming odds against him.

No comments:

Post a Comment