Friday, October 14, 2011

One of the 99%

I am so glad the young lady who wrote the sign above has had so much good fortune in her life to be able to work a 30 hour a week job at minimum wage and graduate from college debt-free. Good for her. I went to a fancy private school on a full ride that took care of everything. Books, room, board, etc. Something happened while I was in college, though. I was diagnosed with a Primary Immune Deficiency Disease... and nearly every major life choice I've made since has revolved around that illness.

It is good that there are people who are responsible with their money, but to imply that the argument of the 99%ers is just about their being irresponsible is silly. I can be responsible all day and all night, but yet there are unexpected expenses that just come up. I bet this young lady doesn't have to worry about several hundred dollars' worth of medication just for one bout of infection... which will happen several times this winter. Meanwhile, I am on a medication that is causing me to gain weight because it is the best option. So I am going to have to buy new clothes to make sure I can still look professional at my job. I am doing what I can to try not to gain weight, but there really isn't much I CAN do. I save as much as possible, but it's absurd to me that someone would think my financial situation had something to do with my character. It really doesn't.

This woman will never have to take a lower paying job to keep health insurance. Heck, her first job can even not have insurance and she can stay on her parents' policy. I had to take my first job when I did or risk losing insurance entirely... and with a $10k per month plasma habit... that is SO not happening. Oh, and what if you have to pay for one of THOSE out of pocket? Could she do that? I'm going to guess that's a negatory.

So before you judge people for their financially-strapped situation, perhaps you should consider that not everyone has the opportunity to choose the bed they're lying in.

No comments:

Post a Comment