Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Working on My Fitness

For the first time in a long time, like really really long time, I'm actually able to engage in physical activity without extreme pain and/or feeling like death warmed over afterward. This is a huge development. I think there are a combination of factors playing into this. All good things, but all things that have taken a long time to come to fruition.

First, the plaquenil. Where would I be without it? My fingers are less swollen, to the point I may have to get my college ring re-sized. That's how long my fingers have been sausage-y. They almost look elegant. They're still short, but they aren't so stumpy. My joints hurt less, meaning pain doesn't keep me from trying to work out again tomorrow, or leave me feeling like I may have done permanent damage to myself. I feel actually good and limber after working out, instead of stiff, pained, and unable to move.

Second, I really think the airway clearance is making a huge difference for me. When I started this, I thought it was a little silly, to be honest. Why would I need to do this crap forever? Couldn't I just do it when I am not feeling well? No. The answer now is clearly no. I need to do it. I haven't been able to run without feeling like my lungs were burning since... I really don't remember. We thought it was asthma, which I guess it still could have been, but now I do not even need an inhaler when working out. My bronchioles don't burn. I used to get the feeling I'd run a very long distance after ver short ones. Now, I can go and go and push myself. That is amazing.

What do I mean by go and go? Last night, I ran 4 miles on the elliptical, if you can call that running. My average speed was between 7 and 8 miles an hour. Seriously! I can hardly believe it myself. Granted, it was on the flat setting on the elliptical, but I still think that's something to be proud of, especially since I've only been working out for the past week. I only just got the guts to do it. It makes me want to cry a little because I've been at points when walking a half mile was difficult, even in ideal weather. I've been at points when I dreaded coming to work because of walking from the metro to my office.

This is freedom to me. I can do things I want to do. I can get in better shape. I can be fit. It wasn't long ago when I didn't think that was an option for me in my life, other than trying to do some walking and not lose the function I have. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment