Thursday, May 30, 2013

Just... Stop

A lot of people like to say "Common VARIABLE Immune Deficiency... because it is different with every patient!" It is and it isn't... and here's what I mean:

It's variable not because the presentation is so different (even though it does vary somewhat), but rather in large part because patient experience is so different. I have lung problems. Not all CVID patients do. I don't have GI problems, in large part, but a lot of CVID patients do. Some of us have sinuses that are worse than others, and no one really knows why some of us are so much sicker than others. That I will grant you.

BUT... and this is a BIG BUT...

The diagnostics are pretty straightforward. You do not have CVID if you respond to pneumovax. You do not have CVID if your IgG level is not 2 standard deviations BELOW NORMAL. This is a pretty low number, not just "out of range." Many many people are out of range and have no issues. It must be marked decrease in your serum levels. Ok? Ok. Now, with this reduction in IgG, you must also have reduced (or nonexistent) IgA or IgM. Not low IgG paired with normal IgA and high IgM. That's not CVID. Not. No. It isn't. Just stop. Also stop saying you have hypogammaglobulinemia when you have normal serum levels. Thanks.

I understand diagnostic criteria can change, but this has been standard for like 10 or 15 years. There are tons of folks who decide they have the symptoms (uh, what? You have fatigue? Definitely CVID ermmm no) without having reduced serum immunoglobulins and they respond to vaccine. I'm sorry that you feel crummy, but your feeling crummy is NOT THE SAME as mine. NOT THE SAME AT ALL. Yes, this makes me a little outlandishly ragey, but it has taken a long time to find people who truly understand, because so many people are like "I HAVE THIS" when they don't. You can insist all you like, but that doesn't change your blood chemistry.

I'm not saying you don't necessarily have a Primary Immune Deficiency, but what I'm saying is what you have is NOT what I have. So. In summary... JUST STOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment