Thursday, May 26, 2011

On The Metro

There are a lot of things I put up with because I have to on a daily basis. Some of these things are worse than others and some days everything sucks. For the most part, I have few things to complain about... Not that I don't complain, mind you, but most of it isn't so bad. One of the things that is bad pretty often is my commute on the lovely Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority trains and buses. Yes, I'm using the term "lovely" sarcastically...

I ran across a tweet this morning that got me thinking. I have an invisible illness. People can't see when I'm hurting or feeling cruddy or wanting to escape from my life. This happens more often than I would like it to, sure, but I like that people don't feel sorry for me. Sometimes, the invisibility of my illness is accentuated by the fact that people are often caught up in their own world and don't want to notice. Most of the time, that's perfectly ok with me, but some days I wonder about the humanity of others.

The tweet in question was from a young woman with a broken foot. No one on her train would stand so she could sit. She has a very visible problem and is in a boot. You would imagine that people would at least be polite enough to move. I don't know whether she asked or not, but I've been in plenty of situations where asking people still doesn't stir them to allow you to sit. I'm pretty sure they see me and go "yeah, right, THAT girl has a disability? she's just chubby and wants to sit." Yuppie guy with floppy hair and easter egg tie, how I wish that were the case.

But I'm brought back to the lady with the broken foot. Really, people? REALLY? Ugh, humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment