Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bad Patient! BAD!!

So most people are bad bad bad at being patients. Granted, doctors could, you know, be on time for appointments, etc, but that's beside the point. Right now, I'm talking about patients.

Being a frequent patient myself (obvi) I want to point you to this article on CNN. I can tell you that, personally, I'm guilty of a bunch of these, but there are some things I want to specifically point to as paramount and tell you why.

2. You lie.

Let's be real here. You shouldn't be going to a doctor you don't trust enough to tell your deepest secrets to. They do not care that you're sleeping with the entire professional hometown football team. They just need to know that information. If you leave it out or tell untruths about being a virgin or whatever, you're putting yourself at higher risk for just about everything.

Then again, I feel like most people need to be more honest about most things, so I'm kind of harsh on this one. In this case, the things you leave out could cost you your life. TELL THE TRUTH!

6. You don't know what medications you're taking.

Pay attention to what you put in your body. Always bring prscriptions with you to all of your doctor appointments. Most people aren't on enough things that this become prohibitive. If you don't want to do that, make a Word document listing your doses, times, etc and bring that. However you want to handle it, this is CRITICAL information for your medical team. I carry everything with me in case of emergency. Seriously. Everything I take. This could explain my very large purse.

7. You leave with unspoken questions and concerns.

Having an honest and forthcoming relationship with your doctor also includes actually voicing concerns and not being afraid of them. They aren't an authority figure, they're a partner.

9. You're too scared to disagree with your doctor.

It's your body. Sometimes, you have to fight for it. Doctors are not saints. They need to be challenged. A second opinion is not telling your doctor you don't trust them, but telling them you want to be certain. That's A-OK. Also, it helps give your doctor a sounding board for potential treatments. Often, challenging your doctor can ensure you get the best treatment for you.

10. You don't comply with the treatment plan.

I am bad about this one, guys. I'm going to be honest. SO SO BAD! I find myself not wanting to take pills or do what I need to do. Because I am compliant with so many parts of things that it's hard to keep doing it all the time. I just want a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment